Thursday, September 6, 2007

Irish Music

Authentic and Live
During my first visit to Ireland, we were fortunate enough to dine in the old, traditional fashion -- Irish stew and all. Along with the meal, we were treated to authentic Irish music.
My first introduction to Irish music came by way of The Chieftians. Most recently, I stumbled onto an awesome group that is a feast for the eyes and ears -- Celtic Woman. And, through the awesome programming of our Public Broadcasting System, I've seen both in concert.
This coming fall, I'll be attending a concert by Gaelic Storm, an Irish-style rock-n-roll Pub band. Their music covers traditional songs and they performed as the "steerage band" in the movie Titanic.
There's just something about Irish music that speaks to me. And, hey, if I can't be in Ireland, I can at least let the music take me there.


2 comments:

Francine Biere said...

Cami ... you made me laugh but I know what you mean. And I do agree, lilting must've been created to describe this kind of music.

Carol said...

Francine, I have to admit there is something about Irish singers which speak to me also, it must be my Irish roots..Last year our idol winner was an Irish fellow,Damien Lieth, he has a superb voice.When he I hear him sing Danny Boy,it makes me teary every time..