Thursday, August 30, 2007

Green and Blue


The colors of my blog were chosen simply because when I think of Ireland, these are the colors I most remember.


I never expected to fall in love again. After all, I'm happily married to a wonderful man -- and have been for quite a while. But as our plane broke through the clouds, a kalidescope of green rushed up and washed over me as we landed in Kerry. That was all it took.


Enchanted? Yes! Magical? That too. But there was something that went deeper. Maybe it was because, starting and living life so close to Washington, D.C., then fleeing to the majestic mountains of southeastern Arizona, I wanted more. Or is it "less?"


Less city, less people, less stress. Yes, I suppose that's part of it. Yet, I hadn't really been looking. After all, the high desert of Arizona is actually quite nice. No, not as green but the lack of vegetation is more than offset by the firey sunsets and star spangled nights.


Ireland was something more. Much of it had to do with the people and their connection to the land and its history. Maybe it's because it seemed everyone was a storyteller, and as a writer, I more than appreciated this gift. Underlying all that, were the friendly faces that never seemed to question; just accept.


I'll return there one day.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you came and visited. This is like something fun and I'm really excited. I think I'll finally get to my journal where I describe the things I see -- as well as figuring out where I took all those pictures.

Keith Wallis said...

Ireland is only a channel away and yet I have never been. Even though throughout my lifetime it's been clouded with 'the troubles' it retains a romantic image - maybe falling in love with the place is a good phrase.